- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, cut together all-purpose flour, oatmeal, packed brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and softened butter or margarine until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Press half of this crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish.
- Cover the crumb layer with the chopped apples.
- In a saucepan, mix together granulated sugar, cornstarch, water, and cook until thick and clear. Remove the mixture from the heat and then add vanilla extract.
- Pour the sauce over the apples in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake the apple crisp at 350°F (175°C) for approximately one hour or until the apples become tender.
- Serve the apple crisp warm and enjoy it with a scoop of ice cream. This versatile recipe also works well with other fruits or berries for equally delicious results.